IDEX Coating Process Engineer in West Henrietta, New York
If you’re looking for a special place to build or grow your career, you’ve found it. Whether you’re an experienced professional, a recent college graduate or somewhere in between, IDEX is a place where you can apply your existing skills and learn new ones in an environment where you can make an impact.
With interesting opportunities in engineering, marketing, sales, supply chain, operations, HR, finance, and more across more than 40 diverse businesses (https://www.idexcorp.com/our-businesses/business-segments/) around the globe, chances are, we have something special for you.
JOB TITLE: Coating Process Engineer
REPORTING TO: Director of Coating Technology
LOCATION: West Henrietta, NY
These positions may require lawful access to ITAR/EAR controlled information and employees in this role will need to meet those requirements. Requirements include US Citizenship or US Permanent Resident.
Who is IDEX Health & Science (IH&S)?
As a business unit of IDEX Corporation, IH&S has a long history of driving growth in life sciences and healthcare by embracing innovation and redefining the supplier-customer relationship. The work we do every day allows us to discover key insights and break new ground to create some of the most meaningful technologies that have a lasting impact on companies, industries, and society. One of business segments is called Life Science Optics and we are looking to add more talent to the team.
Life Science Optics (LSO):
Our newly opened Optics Center of Excellence (COE) in West Henrietta, NY , is a manufacturing and R&D focused team that sits at the leading edge of high-end optics for life sciences. Focused on assisting partners at every stage of the development processes, we invest in people and infrastructure to drive bold ideas and pragmatic solutions. With its optics-rich foundation of talent, universities, and supporting businesses, Rochester is the ideal location to elevate your career with fascinating work and endless opportunities.
Our formula for success is simple. We work hard to maintain a culture where you can own your work; you are encouraged to try new ideas in a collaborative environment; and you can apply your skillset to enable our clients to gain a competitive advantage in their own market. At IDEX Health & Science, you have the opportunity to work with a great group of people, mentor others, and build a great future.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
The Coating Process Engineer will be a key resource in advancing new products, new capabilities, and deposition equipment improvements within the optical coating department. This work will encompass the Semrock filter business as well as optical coatings for the optical systems and lasers businesses. The work will include design, deposition, measurement, and production control, as well as hands-on process development and training of technicians and associates.
Deposition process improvements:
- Conduct development and continuous improvement projects on several coating deposition platforms, including ion beam sputtering, magnetron sputtering, and ion-assisted evaporation.
Deposition equipment improvements:
- Lead efforts to develop and install new equipment and upgrades to existing equipment. Systematically address functional deficiencies and obsolescence risks with existing equipment. Work closely with a team of equipment technicians to deploy solutions through release to production.
Data mining and analysis:
- Conduct routine data analysis and generate regularly reported metrics. In addition, “deep dive” data mining will be necessary for improvement projects.
- Manage small project teams and be accountable for maintaining timelines and reporting on milestones.
Cross functional problem solving:
- Leverage the entire organization to solve problems and enable new or improved processes. This includes the manufacturing teams, planners, software engineers, design engineers, sales, quality, and product management.
- Contribute to the team effort to support the 7 days per week manufacturing operation. This includes involvement in difficult products flowing through manufacturing, triage and clearing of nonconforming work, and occasional off-hours point of contact support.
Process ownership and training:
- Take full responsibility for creating and maintaining the documentation of certain manufacturing processes, as well as the training and certification of manufacturing personnel to those processes.
- Participate in technical events, seminars, and other educational activities to further enhance professional development; takes responsibility for professional growth and knowledge related to company’s technology, products, and marketplace; Eventually serve as subject-matter expert in applicable company technical platforms.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
Minimum BS degree in a Optics, Physics, or a related discipline
Minimum 2 or more years of manufacturing or academic experience in optics or thin films
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Experience with vacuum deposition processes
Ability to understand and troubleshoot mechanical systems and integrated controls
Familiarity with the basic design of optical interference coatings
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Comfortable communicating within all levels of the organization, having the ability to customize message to the specific audience.
Fluent with Microsoft office, including Excel, Powerpoint, and Access
Self-starter: will recognize and act on opportunities for improvement.
Data driven – able to create consensus and drive action trough the objective and concise use of data.
Experience applying statistics to recognize and analyze trends
Demonstrated ability to create and present concise reports
Experience with optical assembly at the bread-board level
Experience with Six Sigma / Lean manufacturing concepts
Experience computer programming for physical modeling or data analysis
IDEX Health & Science LLC., a Unit of IDEX Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity
Are you ready to join a different kind of company where our people, our culture, and our commitments are centered around providing trusted solutions that improve lives around the world?
IDEX is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action Employer. IDEX gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other consideration or protected category made unlawful by federal, state or local laws (Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled).
Business Unit: IH&S (West Henrietta COE)
Job Segment: HST Health & Science Technologies