IDEX Environmental, Health, and Safety (EH&S) Manager in Benton Harbor, Michigan
If you’re looking for a special place to build or grow your career, you’ve found it. Whether you’re an experienced professional, a recent college graduate or somewhere in between, IDEX is a place where you can apply your existing skills and learn new ones in an environment where you can make an impact.
With interesting opportunities in engineering, marketing, sales, supply chain, operations, HR, finance, and more across more than 40 diverse businesses (https://www.idexcorp.com/our-businesses/business-segments/) around the globe, chances are, we have something special for you.
Who is GAST Manufacturing?
As a business unit of IDEX Corporation, GAST Manufacturing has a long history of being the leader in design and manufacturing of quality air-moving products. We specialize in offering cost effective solutions for a wide variety of industries including industrial manufacturing, healthcare, and environmental cleanup applications. We are looking to add more talent to our Benton Harbor, Michigan facility.
Scope of Role:
Leads site Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) working with Facility and Maintenance efforts in creating, developing and enhancing a Safety-First Culture. Maintain effective vendor relationships ensuring compliance with EHS regulatory standards. Serves an essential role in leading, partnering and supporting business driven technical and strategic initiatives in alignment with the overall operating plan. Additional responsibilities include; complying with OSHA, EPA, ISO and providing insight into overall planning and strategic direction for the operations. This includes all equipment, physical structures, and layouts are within compliance with, local, state and national regulations to protect the assets, guests, and employees. Partners with site Leadership to ensure optimum outcomes; and drive EHS, minimize expenses and maximize customer service.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & REQUIRED ABILITIES
The ideal candidate will lead projects that will drive improvement in key EHS performance indicators (KPIs). Will also be responsible for planning, directing, and overseeing aspects of vendor services, security and utilities programs.
Champion a Safety-First Culture:
• Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with safe workplace programs, policies and procedures that enhance incident prevention and compliance with company, local, state and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) rules and regulations
• Interface directly and appropriately with all regulatory agencies
• Conduct or coordinate effective training for all employees in areas such as safe-workplace policies, practices, laws and regulations, hazardous condition monitoring and use of safety equipment
• Own the process for ensuring effective safety training for all new hires and on an ongoing basis in alignment with position specific and regulatory requirements
• Investigate industrial accidents, injuries or occupational diseases to determine root cause and recommend preventive measures
• Prepare and submit reports, including but not limited to incident flash reports, monthly reports, and finding reports from incident investigations or facility inspections
• Inspect facilities, machinery and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards and to ensure regulation compliance
• Assess ergonomic conditions and environment to reduce incidence of muscular-skeletal conditions
• Review plans and specifications for construction or installation of new equipment to ensure that all safe-workplace requirements have been met
• Diligently manage worker’s compensation claims to ensure appropriate employee care and to facilitate timely claim closure
• Collaborate with human resources in all situations involving modified work duty, work restrictions, or accommodation.
• Perform monthly environmental audits
• Review and report findings from incident investigations, facility inspections or environmental testing
Maintenance and Facilities Partner:
• Audit the facility and site for compliance with company security standards
• Lead efforts to ensure security measures and programs are current and well defined.
• Update SOPs and procedure documents as necessary
• Provide training to workforce to ensure security practices are understood consistently applied
• Ensure that the facility confirms to local, state, federal and regulatory codes and standards
• Ensures compliance with regulatory codes and standards
• Serves as the primary point of contact for all interested parties relative to fire systems
• Perform audits and training on electrical systems
• Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Safety, Industrial Hygiene or equivalent
• 7 to 10 years related experience in a manufacturing environment
• Some limited travel may be required
• Demonstrated understanding of local, federal and state regulations
• Demonstrated ability to develop and deploy safety programs in a manufacturing environment
• Strong collaboration, communication, training and coaching skills
• Ability to influence behavioral change
• Knowledge of worker’s compensation processes and practices
• Good working knowledge of electrical, mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic equipment
• Training as a first-responder or EMT/paramedic is not required but strongly preferred
• Industry certifications are not required, but strongly preferred
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Proactive possess a strong sense of ownership and drive to success utilizing available resources Must be comfortable working under pressure with solid problem-solving methodology
Ability to motivate and drive others to deliver results
Well organized must have ability to address tactical issues in the short-term while maintaining long-term project plan
Excellent communication/presentation skills (written and verbal)
Integrity, trust and interpersonal savvy
Ability to work successfully in a multi-cultural environment
Ability to work collaboratively with strong leadership & influencing skills mentoring, developing and driving accountability
GAST Manufacturing, a Unit of IDEX Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented.
Are you ready to join a different kind of company where our people, our culture, and our commitments are centered around providing trusted solutions that improve lives around the world?
IDEX is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action Employer. IDEX gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other consideration or protected category made unlawful by federal, state or local laws (Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled).
Business Unit: Gast
Job Segment: HST Health & Science Technologies