IDEX Manufacturing Engineering Manager in United States
Title: Manufacturing Engineering Manager
Business Unit: IH&S (Rohnert Park)
Lead the manufacturing engineering function while supporting production as a working leader. Manage day-to-day issues with a sense of urgency and to maintain on-time delivery to our customers. Work on operations-based projects to release new products, improve safety, productivity, reduce burden and provide material cost savings. Foster development of staff in a manner aligned with the IDEX Values. Promote a lean production culture.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities :
1. Supports Manufacturing Operations.
2. Improve and or automate manufacturing processes by designing, recommending for purchase, or building new or improved machines, tooling, fixtures, gauges, hand tools, and processes.Discuss proposed improvements with appropriate engineering and operations staff, and implement approved changes.
3. Production test stand design and maintenance develop and maintain production test equipment.
4. Mentor and develop staff in a Develop structure where team members are able to continuously grow.
5. Drive scrap reduction.
6. Drive design for Manufacturing.
7. Assist in CAPEX process.
8. Perform detailed defect root cause analysis with containment plans and corrective and preventative actions.
9. Develop and maintain productivity decks (labor/burden/material); meet savings targets.
10. Lead new product introduction process through manufacturing.
11. Approve and develop engineering change orders to aide Operations.
12. Manage sustaining engineering process.
13. Utilize statistical process control.
14. Analyze and document assembly and production processes.Create detailed work instructions for production associates to follow.
15. Analyzes and plans work force utilization, space requirements, work flow, and designs layout of equipment and workspace for in order to meet manufacturing objectives and improve ergonomics.
16. Train the production supervisor and personnel on how to build the new product.Work with the supervisor to train new personnel as they become assigned to this product, and other manufacturing changes.Give periodic training courses in the proper methods of assembly and use of equipment.
17. Compiles and evaluates test and production data, prepares technical analysis, recommends manufacturing methods and processes required to meet design objectives on new (or improved) products and/or processes.
18. Improve and or automate manufacturing processes by designing, recommending for purchase, or building new or improved machines, tooling, fixtures, gauges, hand tools, and processes.Discuss proposed improvements with appropriate engineering and operations staff, and implement approved changes.
19. Responsible for the Manufacturing bill of materials.
20. Recommend and/or determine courses of action in developing and evaluating suppliers for components, parts and supplies.Continuously improve existing manufacturing assembly and supply chain processes through examination, data collection, and employment of lean manufacturing principles.
21. Provides production floor and assembly support in technical matters related to interpretation of engineering documentation, Engineering Change Notices (ECNs), rework, manufacturing difficulties and specification, and implementation and training on new processes.
22. Confers with management, engineering, and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, and other considerations to facilitate production process.
23. In conjunction with the company established Product Development Processes, lead the manufacturing engineering team in the release of new products.
Other duties as assigned
Knowledge/Education & Experience:
1. Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering.
2. Experience managing projects of varying complexity and scope as well as management experience of technical personnel such as manufacturing engineers and technicians.
3. General manufacturing engineering expertise of a senior level, with 4-7 years related work experience.
4. Knowledge of materials and their use, thermal, optics, vibration, and regulatory requirements of electromechanical products preferred.
5. Previous manufacturing of OEM products desirable.
6. Must have knowledge of ergonomic and design for manufacturing principals.
7. Good understanding of lean manufacturing desired and a strong background in manufacturing programs, i.e., Total Quality Management (TQM), Continuous Process Improvement, Statistical Process Control (SPC), Concurrent Engineering Teams, Design for Manufacturability (DFM) Kanban principles, and Just in Time JIT).
Engineering skills including the following:
1. Advanced computer skills, e.g., standard office software (word-processing and spreadsheets), database development, and use of PLC language, data acquisition, and software programming.
2. Use of computer aided design software, preferably SolidWorks.
3. Strong experience in the design, development, and implementation of manufacturing tools and fixtures.
4. Implementation experience in installation and set-up of MRP systems.
5. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. General exposure to office, manufacturing, laboratory, and machine shop environments.
2. Safety glasses and adhering to general safety practices required.
3. Exposure to general production equipment and machine ship noise levels.
4. Some exposure and handling of some hazardous chemicals and gases.Use of personal protective equipment required, i.e. safety glasses, gloves, breathing filters, aprons, etc.
IDEX is an equal opportunity employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled